Thursday, June 12, 2008

Tame Or Good

Remember the adorable big red dog in the children's book, Clifford? Well, I now have my own adorable big red dog named, Bouzer. At least to me he's an adorable big red dog. However, when "Kujo" in our neighbor's yard starts taunting and lunging at the fence, my precious little Bouzer turns into this snarling mass of muscled flesh that I barely recognize. It's quite an amazing transformation.

Being the responsible pet owner that I am, I stand at the backdoor and scream at Bouzer. Much to my surprise, he stops barking, comes to the door, and becomes this meek, submissive, precious dog again.

What's up with that? Doesn't he realize that if he wanted to, he could rip my face off? Maybe. But the point is: He doesn't want to. He loves me. And the feeling is mutual. Hmmm. Would you call him a tame dog? A good dog? Hold that thought...

David wanted to build a house for God. Think about it. A house for the God of the universe to dwell in. Come on. Get real. But David's heart was sincere because at the moment David desired to build God a house, the Lord happened to be dwelling in a tent. So it was a step up!

However, David didn't consult God on his plan, and God didn't want David to build Him a house! In fact, God was the One Who intended to do the house building. And He intended to build 2 houses - thank you very much. One for Israel, and one...for David.
1 Chron. 17:9-12 - "And I [God] will provide a place for my people Israel and will plant them so that they can have a home of their own and no longer be disturbed...I declare to you [David] that the LORD will build a house for you: 11When your days are over and you go to be with your fathers, I will raise up your offspring to succeed you, one of your own sons, and I will establish his kingdom. 12He is the one who will build a house for me, and I will establish his throne forever."

It's good to want to do good things for God, but it's better to do what God wants done. See the difference? And believe me, God has an opinion on what He wants done.

Furthermore, David showed us that we can't contain or control God. But God, by His own choice, on His own terms, dwells with us - and blesses us.

Remember how C.S. Lewis portrayed Aslan the Lion in his Narnia series...He is not a tame Lion, but He is good. Once in a while it's good to see my precious little Bouzer do battle with Kujo. It reminds me of the same premise.

I cannot control God. He chooses to adore, bless and deal tenderly with me. Thank You, Lord. You are so good. Your love endures forever (1 Chron. 16:34 - David's Psalm of praise).

No comments: