Thursday, March 04, 2010

THIN PLACES - by Mary DeMuth

Occasionally, I meet a new friend on my publishing adventure. Such is the case with Mary DeMuth, author of Thin Places, a Zondervan, Feb. 2010 release.

Though we've never actually "met," after reading her poignant memoir, I feel as if Mary has guided me through some very thin places of my own.

"Thin places," according to this incredible woman, are: "snatches of time, moments really, when we sense God intersecting our world in tangible, unmistakable ways." Mary bravely shares her "thin places" - painful memories from a traumatic and disturbing childhood in a broken home and unstable environment.

"Folks may wonder why I've spent all this time looking back," says Mary, "...Jesus says truth sets people free. This is my way of doing that - of telling the stark truth on the page so others can be set free." Her desire to see readers set free from their family secrets went a step further than writing her memoir. In February of 2009, Mary launched a blog for readers to anonymously confide their family secrets. The blog was featured on "Christianity Today's" blog, Her.meneutics. For more information, go to: http://blog.myfamilysecrets.org.

Because Mary risks the honest disclosure of her worst heartaches, we as readers are privileged to see God's best healing. Many personal stories get stuck in the dark details without ever moving onto the victory that comes through Jesus Christ. Not so with Thin Places. Mary DeMuth gives us enough glimpses of joy and conquest amid her battles to demonstrate a conquering Savior. When I turned the final page of Thin Places, I had a renewed sense that my God is bigger than the bullies of this life. He's even bigger than the boogey man that lurks in my own mind. Now, that's a big God! And this is a good book!

No comments: